Flexible First Year (Stream B) / Medical Science (2012)
Note: This course version applies only to students first enrolling in 2012.
||Flexible First Year (Stream B) / Medical Science (2012)
|Min FT Duration:
|Min PT Duration:
2014, 2013, 2012
2. Requirements To qualify for the award of the Engineering/Medical Science combined degree, a student shall complete units of study having a total value of at least 240 credit points including:
(1) Units of study as prescribed for the BE specialisation
(2) 30 credit points of junior Science units of study comprising 12 credit points of Mathematics, 12 credit points of Junior Chemistry and MBLG1001 Introductory Molecular Biology & Genetics (noting that some of these may be shared in common with the engineering specialisation)
(3) 48 credit points of Intermediate Science units of study, comprising (i)36 credit points of BMED240X units as listed in Table IVB of the Science Faculty Handbook for the Bachelor of Medical Science and (ii) MBLG2071 and 2072 Molecular Biology and Genetics A and B, or the advanced version of these units MBLG2971 and MBLG2972.
(4) At least 24 credit points of Senior units of study taken from the subject areas of Anatomy/Histology, Biology (Genetics), Biochemistry, Cell Pathology, Histology, Immunology, Infectious Diseases, Microbiology, Neuroscience, Nutrition & Metabolism, Pharmacology, Physiology and Virology.
Optional Science major
The completion of a Science major through selection of appropriate Senior Science units is possible as part of the Engineering/Medical Science combined degree, but not required. Any student who satisfies the requirements of a Science major through the Science units taken as part of the combined degree shall have that major recorded on the Bachelor of Medical Science testamur at the completion of the degree.
(1) Honours is available to meritorious candidates, in either or both the Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Medical Science. Honours requires the completion of an alternative set of units in the final year of the Bachelor of Engineering degree and of one additional full time year of study for the Bachelor of Medical Science degree. The Resolutions of the Faculty of Science allow for part time honours in certain circumstances.
(2) Admission and award requirements for honours in the Bachelor of Engineering are listed in the resolution for the Bachelor of Engineering degree. Admission and award requirements for honours in the Bachelor of Medical Science are listed in the resolutions of the Faculty of Science.
(1) These rules apply to students who commenced their candidature after 1 January, 2012 and students who commenced their candidature prior to 1 January, 2012 who elect to proceed under these rules.
(2) Candidates who commenced their candidature prior to 1 January, 2012 may complete the requirements in accordance with the resolutions in force at the time of their commencement.
(3) Candidates who have completed some, but not all, of the pre-2012 intermediate core BMED280X units should note that these units will be discontinued and that the following equivalences of new to old units will apply.
- BMED2401 equivalent to BMED2801 and 2802
- BMED2402 equivalent to BMED2806
- BMED2403 equivalent to BMED2803
- BMED2404 equivalent to BMED2807
- BMED2405 equivalent to BMED2804
- BMED2406 equivalent to BMED2805
- The old intermediate core unit BMED2808 will count as any new intermediate core unit contributing to the requirements of the degree.
For further details, students should consult the resolutions for the Bachelor of Medical Science degree in the Faculty of Science Handbook. The handbook is available online at http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/
On completion of first semester, First Year, students can apply for entry to the stream of their choice. Subsequent year enrolments will be continued in that stream.
On completion of First Year, students must apply for entry to the stream of their choice. Subsequent year enrolments will be continued in that stream.
No streams/majors defined for this course version.
5. Unit Blocks
No Unit Tables defined for this course version.